Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Marvelous Proselyting Elders of Elk Run

Dear Family,

This week has been a little crazy, but also has been great! First off, I will start with Wednesday at Zone Conference! It was awesome! It was all about teaching people, not lessons and I feel like I learned a lot! Thursday was when things started to get crazy.

On Thursday, in the evening, I got a call from President Eaton. This scared me so bad! We were in a trio and everyone knows that trios are the first to go if a missionary goes home. Anyway, he just wanted to know how strong my back was and if I was able to move furniture. I said it was great! That was all. I was relieved that he said nothing about an emergency transfer, but inside I thought it was coming.

It did. On Friday, during personal study, President Eaton called again! This time he told us the situation. A missionary is going home (sadly), and a missionary from the Elk Run Ward is going to take his place. I was chosen to take the empty spot in the Elk Run Ward and I had to pack my bags. I think Elder Samuelsen is getting pretty good at puns (thanks to my example) and he said a pretty good one that explains how we felt later that day. He said, "Today is a sad day, tomorrow is a Saturday(sadder day)" because we knew that I was leaving.

I transferred to the Elk Run Ward in the Maple Valley Stake on Saturday. The Elk Run Ward is special. This happens to be the ward that the Office Elders serve in. That's right. I am the new Office Elder! In most missions, the Office Elders are trouble makers that have to be kept in the office to keep them away from trouble, but in this mission it is a privilege. As an Office Elder, my actual area of service is the whole mission. I am in charge of opening and closing apartments, putting together mission devotionals, keeping things organized at transfers, driving missionaries to the airport at transfers, driving new cars for the car coordinator, and so on. I have already read through all 78 pages of "Office Elder Procedures" and I am ready to serve! President Eaton assigned me to update the procedures because they are surprisingly out of date. Wish me luck!

My new companion is Elder Davidson. Elder Davidson is from Springville, Utah. He loves to drive trucks, so he is definitely in the right place. He is very excited that we are getting a new truck tomorrow. I am excited to tour the mission in the passenger seat of that truck! It is going to be a lot of fun! I love you all!

Love,

Elder Bretton Steiner.

P.S.  President Eaton likes to call office Elders, "The Marvelous Proselyting Elders of Elk Run" because he thinks the term "Office Elders" is derogatory.

P.S.S.  Office Elders still get to go out and proselyte, just a little less than other missionaries. 4 days of every week, we spend some time, either in the office or driving to accomplish some task for President Eaton. I have only had 1 day of office so far, so I don't know all of the details. All I know is that there are a lot of procedures that office elders do. We usually leave the tasks or finish them by 4:00 and go out and proselyte for the rest of the day. We don't do office work on Saturdays, Sundays, and P-Days. We do little work on Weekly Planning days (Usually Thursdays). I will probably have more details next week, once I have a little more experience. One cool thing about being in the office is that I get mail early! Yay!

Items Received:
* Valentines Package from family. Thank you! I love you all!

I finally got to make my Birthday cake! It took me way too long. Elder Samuels switched the 9 and the 1 just for fun. I'm not that old! I made this cake on Thursday during weekly planning.

This is the last meal that the Benson Hill Trio had together. It was really good!

This is the only picture that I have so far of Elder Davidson. And yes, that is a typewriter! So cool! Office Elders get first pick for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment