Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Stories from Afar (Volume 13)

This last week, Sister Burnside and I were anticipating the storm that would arrive on Saturday and woooh!!!! What a storm its been!
Sister Burnside's favorite spot...

It didn't start snowing until 11 am on Saturday but it snowed the rest of the night making the roads horrible and the snow kept piling up. Word was received that church would be canceled and at first we were like, why? They should have all of the snow cleared by the time church starts in the morning but as we lived the next day we realized why. 

Sunday's temperature was in the teens and there were gusts of wind possibly up to 30-40 miles per hour, making it feel like it was in the negatives. We couldn't tell if it was snowing half of the time or if the wind was just picking up the dry snow. Often, there was white all around the edge of the sky like cloud cover but then just above us was blue sky. I have to think that all the white was the snow blowing around us. 
The snowbank....



The Mission President counseled us to stay inside and NOT drive. Needless to say, they didn't need to ask us twice. We stayed in our apartment for the entire day!! SO what did we do to fill our time? First off, the missionaries in my district had a little church meeting of our own over the phone where we bore our testimonies of Christ. That was a really cool experience. After that we studied and I did service by making a little pipe-cleaner dragon for a certain sister in the ward. That was a lot of fun to do. Another thing we did was go visit Bruce and Carolina. They live in our apartment building so we didn't have to go outside. Huzzah! We did service for them, had dinner with them, and also read the Book of Mormon with them. I'm so grateful that they live so close and the amazing friendship we have.

I guess that brings us to day 3 of the storm. The snow is coming down off and on and the wind isn't as bad as yesterday. The temperature is about 9 degrees last time my companion checked but it feels like -4.... But we have to do things we don't always want to do so... yeah. We have to clean out our car for Zone Conference this week, probably go shopping for food (Mostly just milk for my cereal) and of course missionary work later this evening. 

Pipe-cleaner dragon
Sometimes life in an adventure and I would totally say that these last few days have been just that! I have definitely learned more about the Lord's time. Every hour doing missionary work is His and we need to do all we can for Him. Just because we were inside doesn't mean that the time was my own. That was an important lesson I learned yesterday. I'm grateful for warmth and blankets and fox-socks. I love watching the snow fall and see it billow in the winds. I'm grateful I didn't have to walk a dog yesterday or go to the store (we saw some people doing that). 

Even the darkest and scariest storms can bring goodness. They create opportunities to serve and cause people to be more grateful for the everyday things. I'm grateful for Christ's atonement and the knowledge that we are never alone. He has been through it all alone so we do not have to. ("None Were With Him" by Elder Holland 2009?) 

Super stuck red car.... and snow
I hope you all are surviving your own storms of life and are holding to the Rod of Iron. It will help keep you grounded upon the rock of our Redeemer. Stay warm and loving!!!

Sending a LOT of LOVE from the snowy Ohio!!!!

Sister Becca Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment