Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Week 1 in Elk Plain Ward!

Dear Family,

This week has been a crazy one! We had a lot of meetings: district meeting, new district leader training, stake conference, and a zone conference! Elder Dube of the seventy visited our mission and spoke to us at zone conference! He is really cool! One thing that he talked about was the difference between a Disciple of Christ and a "Me" Missionary. A "Me" Missionary is one who focuses on himself. He complains and goes through the motions as a missionary. A Disciple of Christ is one who focuses completely on others. He gives of himself all of the time. He doesn't complain about discomforts or disappointments. Another term for A Disciple of Christ is the 4th missionary (given in a different talk). Elder Dube's training was great!

This was my first week in Elk Plain so I will just have to tell about what I have learned about this place. Elk Plain is a more rural area. It is pretty spread out and has few houses. Elder Fullmer and I live a few miles out of our area. We are trying to save up the miles on our car, so we would use it to drive into our area and we would park it at the Church building. The Church building is right in the center of our area. We would then take our bikes and work around our area.

We always brought sack lunches to the church and we would eat in the serving area. The Church has become our "home base"! One thing that I really love about it is that it is always air conditioned! On a hot day, that feels great!

We have one investigator who is very promising. Her name is Jen. She is going through a lot of court cases trying to keep the custody of her daughter, Kali. After her court cases, she plans on moving out of her boyfriend's house and getting baptized! She has great fellowship from some members who were baptized just one year ago! She decided that she would probably get baptized in August! We are excited and are working with her all the time!

Elk Plain is a great area. It is different than I am used to because I have only been serving in the city until now. I know that I am meant to be here. I plan on working hard to help this ward become an even better place than when I found it. The work continues. I love you all! I hope you have a great week!

Love,
Elder Bretton Steiner.

P.S. Sorry there were no pictures this week! I need to take some pictures more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment