Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Stories from Afar (Volume 14)

I guess I'll start with the strange story to why my P-Day is on Tuesday this week instead of Monday. So as some of you might know already, my companion and I made plans to go to the temple with Shannon and Robin. It will be Shannon's first time and we are all super excited to go on Thursday. We got permission from the District Leader and talked to the Sister Training Leaders about how we could have this temple trip come to pass. Well, they all told us that we would have to change our P-Day to Thursday and use up our free time to go. We knew the temple would be worth it; even when we got the news that there would be a District Activity on Monday where they would watch the movie called "The Best Two Years" (Which I have never seen) and eat popcorn. We knew it would be worth it to miss such a fun activity. 


Sunday afternoon came around and we realized that we needed to make sure it was okay with our Zone Leaders that our P-Day was changing. We texted them but they didn't reply. Thus Monday started and we began it like any other normal day; exercising and studying. We even went out and did service for Vickie. At 2 PM the Zone Leaders called us and gave us the great and terrible news....
Normally you do have to go to the temple on a P-Day but you don't have to when you are going with a recent convert!! We told them that everyone had told us otherwise and after getting in touch with the President's Assistants, we found that the Zone Leaders were correct.... We were disappointed and my companion was a bit angry that they hadn't told us the day before. So basically, we missed that District Activity for nothing. Very disappointing but we are trying not to be bitter. In fact, I learned a lot from this experience. 

Later yesterday night, the spirit whispered to me and helped me see this whole situation in a new light. The Lord was testing us to see what we would give up to go to His temple. We were totally willing to give up not just ANY P-Day, but a P-Day that would be spent hanging out with other missionaries and watching an amazing, funny movie. (All of that is a Missionary's dream for a free day) We proved to the Lord that we loved Him more than we love movies and activities. Now, like Abraham and Isaac of old the Lord has tried us and is showering us with blessings because we did the right thing. The Zone Leaders granted us the opportunity to have P-Day today and still be able to go to the temple on Thursday with Shannon and Robbin. So we gave up something good for something that was infinitely better. 

I have learned that when you are willing to sacrifice something you love in order to do the Lord's will, He will bless you in more ways than you can ever imagine. I'm sure that you all are seeing the Lord's blessings in your lives as I am out here doing what I can to serve the Lord. WOW!!!! Sometimes I love being a Missionary! 

People look at you weirdly, especially when you mention that you need to use the bathroom really loudly in a small restaurant. (Yes, that happened this week) They wonder about our name tags and why we are wearing skirts in freezing weather. (Don't worry mom, the leggings you got me are doing wonders) Some are in awe of what we are doing, insomuch that they care to warn us about dangerous people living on the next street over (that happened yesterday while we were tracting in what used to be the Elder's area on a street named Burnside; my companion's last name hehe). Others just adore us and give us hugs and lots of food. (We have had a dinner with members/non-members like every day for these past 2 weeks. I almost forgot what it was like to have a normal dinner hour in the apartment) But yeah, those are just the little things that have been happening in the Tallmadge Area here in Ohio.
Kirtland on the other hand... A bit has changed. We now have a new Site Director. They are the Isaac's and instead of going by Elder he now goes by President. So I have two Presidents that I follow; President Stratford and President Isaac. They should work well together, at least I hope they do. President Isaac and his wife are so cute and kind. They are also very knowledgeable in Church History. He used to work in the Church History Department back in Salt Lake so he REALLY knows his stuff. We'll see what kind of changes will happen now he is Site Director of Kirtland. 

Also up in Kirtland we ended up playing the Transfer Game during dinner hour. In the Kitchen in Kirtland there is a whiteboard with all of our names and pictures on it; showing who is in which area and such. The Transfer Game is when you and other Sisters make guesses on where each of us will go next transfer. Needless to say, I really hope to go with a certain sister by the name of Sister Conway. She speaks my same language of movie quotes and puns and we are already great friends at the Visitor Center. She goes home in two transfers so I really hope I get to be her companion.
Being companions with Sister Burnside has been a real blast and I am going to miss her a lot. I'm grateful for Kirtland because we will still be able to see each other when we are there. So the good byes to companions don't last too long up here. 

Other news..... Well, Carolina had her little baby boy!!! He is super cute and small. Too bad we can't hold babies as missionaries. But hey both the baby and the mother are doing fine. We will be seeing them later this evening. Not much else to report on the others except that we are not sure when Vickie is going to be baptized. 

I do miss you all back at home and I had a dream the other night that you all came to visit me. I freaked out and tried to avoid you in the crowds. I think this shows that I really am turning into a true blue missionary! But don't worry, friends and family. I still love you all and know you are praying for me. Keep up the good work you do at home and church. You never know what a little service will do for someone else. Until next Wednesday (It's transfers so P-Day is on Wed next week) I bid you farewell.

Sending LOTS of LOVE from Ohio!
Sister Becca Steiner

PS. I miss Camo....

No comments:

Post a Comment