Monday, September 21, 2015

The Miracles of Missionary Work

Dear Family,

I feel that God has been our guide this week. I have seen many miracles. On Tuesday, we felt prompted to contact at the Scenic Hill Neighborhood. We have no investigators there. It has just been a void in our map of people to visit. While we were contacting, we actually ran into a Less-Active member! She was running away from an abusive home, and I assume she was just calling upon God to help her, when we showed up. We were able to give her the Bishop's phone number, so she could find help. We also gave her a Book of Mormon because she had forgotten to pack hers. I pray for her and hope she is alright now.

On Wednesday, we were struggling to find fellowship for our lesson with Lili Tuiloma at the church. The Ward Mission Leader had contacted everyone he knew might be available, but no one could be there. About 15 minutes before the lesson, Elder Nelson felt prompted to call Brother Finch. It turns out that Brother Finch was already at the church doing some work, and had just finished. He was able to stay there and be the fellowship for this lesson! I know that God will help us when we do our best to do His work!

There were more miracles on Friday during exchanges! We finally re-established contact with former investigators and were able to teach some! We also had a lesson with Sister Smith again! We still faced trials, though. We struggled with getting fellowship for Sister Smith's lesson, too. Eventually, the Ward Mission Leader himself came to fellowship. We were all outside the church building ready to go in. When I pulled on the handle of the door to the church, I remembered that it was locked. I have no key. Elder Nelson had taken his key with him on exchanges. I asked Elder Gonzalez, who was with me this exchange, if he had his key. He had left his key in the Spanish Elders' car. Then I asked Brother Woodruff, the Ward Mission Leader. He left his key at home because he rushed to get to the lesson on time. We had no key to the church. So, we taught the lesson while standing outside the church. I am grateful to have taught Sister Smith one more time. She is moving this week to a different stake. I don't know if it is even in our mission. I am grateful to have been a part of the huge change in her life.

I found a scripture that really applies to this week. 2 Nephi 27:23 says, "For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith." I know that if I continue striving to show my faith, God will bless me, even with miracles.

I love you all!


Elder Steiner.

PS: Sister Ellineta Smith's Conversion Story, Part 2; As said by Ellineta Smith, written by Elder Steiner, with some details added by Elder Nelson.

One night, Ellineta had another dream. She saw the men in white again. This time one spoke to her, "You should join the Mormons." When she woke up, she told her room-mate, Fatima, that she would join the Mormons.

Later that day, July 24th, a Friday, the missionaries came by again, but this time there was a new missionary. Elder Steiner was Elder Nelson's new companion.

Ellineta welcomed them in and let them share their message. The told her about Jesus Christ and how His Gospel has been restored to the earth! She had this feeling when they were there. She explained it as, "goosebumps." She then told the missionaries how she knew that, "God is good." The missionaries asked her if she would follow Jesus and be baptized. She accepted, but her room-mate was hesitant and didn't want to. Ellineta agreed to set a goal to be baptized on August 29th. The missionaries set up the next appointment and bid her good-bye.

The missionaries gave Ellineta a call on Sunday saying they were going to be late for their lesson, so they set the lesson for 30 minutes later, at 6:30. The missionaries were unable to contact the fellowship to tell her of the new lesson time. Cecile Laude (Pronounced: Loud-ie) showed up at Ellineta's door at6:00 instead of 6:30. Both Ellineta and Cecile were from the Philippines and so became great friends in those 30 minutes.

The missionaries came at 6:30. This time they taught about the Book of Mormon and Sister Laude shared her testimony of it. The Missionaries challenged her to read all of 1 Nephi in 10 days.

The next few lessons Ellineta had with the missionaries were all at either the church building, or at Sister Laude's house. They started calling Ellineta, Sister Smith. She struggled with reading the Book of Mormon daily, but she kept letting the missionaries teach her.

On August 10th, the missionaries taught Sister Smith in what they called, "The Mission Home." She met President Eaton and Sister Eaton. President Eaton entertained her son, Josh, and Sister Eaton helped with the lesson. They taught about repentance that night.

Sister Smith worked very hard to do what the Elders taught her to do. She slowly read more and more of the Book of Mormon. The missionaries invited her to a Mission Devotional on August 16th, but she wasn't able to attend. She had to go to Auburn to get her car fixed and stay at a friends house over night the same night as the Mission Devotional.

To be continued...

This is probably the tallest wall of trees in my area. This is actually where the hill starts, if the road were to continue, it would go up hill, pretty steep.

At this time of day, Elder Nelson always has the sun in his eyes, whether he are driving towards the sun, or away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment