Monday, December 10, 2018

Stories from Afar (Volume 7)

Wow! I guess I should first start with the baptism we had on Sunday. It was amazing and also a bit stressful. Sister Burnside and I put together the programs and also decided to sing a song for it. We did an arrangement of I Stand All Amazed and it went pretty well, at least I thought so. My companion not so much, she did a little alto but lost it at the end and sang soprano with me. I keep telling her that it wasn't about how we sang; it was about the spirit that we brought. I'm glad we were able to participate.

But I think one of my favorite things about the baptismal service was the fact that Shannon's mother came to watch. She was in tears the entire time! I'm pretty sure she could feel the spirit and also the love that we all have for her daughter. I didn't realize this until later but it must have been so special for this mother to have seen her daughter go from being so sad to suddenly have so much joy in almost no time at all! I think that's what her tears were for; happiness that her daughter was able to find joy. What a testimony builder! The gospel really does give one true happiness! Huzzah!

The spirit was so strong and Shannon was amazingly beautiful! It was a really great start to the day! And since sacrament meeting was right after the service, her mom came for sacrament meeting to see Shannon get the gift of the holy ghost! That was one of the best sacrament meetings I've ever been to! I really hope that Shannon's mother will find her way to the truth! I know Shannon will play a big part in that story!

Anyway, thanks for letting me start with that story because it was definitely one of the best I have this week. Most of this week has been spent getting to be better friends with members, people we are teaching, and yeah. You get the idea.

And the BAKLAVA!!!
I think my favorite was when we went to a member's house by the name of Sister May. (I keep wanting to call her Miss May! Haha) We were finally able to contact her the week earlier and she told us that she likes baking. So we set up a time on Saturday to bake with her. Do you know what we made? We made BAKLAVA! hehehe! Ever since I read Deep Cover by Tracy Hunter Abramson (where it mentions that the main character can make this delicious desert) I have always wanted to learn and see how it was done! Baklava is a bunch of layers and nut filling that takes awhile to put together but it was well worth it; for both the food and the friendships that were made. So yeah! I've met a lot of people who are really good cooks and it's inspiring! Maybe I should become a chef when I come back. It has a special way of bringing people closer.
Hrm... what else? 

Oh! You guys remember Bruce? And how he came to church last week? Well, we were finally able to meet with him and it looks like his heart is thawing! He has his own way of doing everything and he knows it works, but he told us how lately it's gotten so hard that his way isn't cutting it. He's hoping there's something more out there! He has had trouble with people walking out of his life and I hope that eventually he'll see that he has a Father in Heaven who never has and never will leave him!

We do have a Christmas tree at our apartment

God has a plan! And I will put my trust in Him. The stories he has planned for all of us are perfect; exactly what we need to become EVERYTHING He needs us to be! 

I love stories. I can't say that enough. So I think I'll get into some of the smaller details about life.
Me and my companion go to an ice cream shop every Monday. It's called Handles (no really, it is!) And it's the BEST! There's a lady who is always there on Mondays and looks forward to when we come around. She's so nice and fun to see. I think we make her Mondays a lot better. (It's winter so an outdoor ice cream shop isn't super busy)

Also instead of saying "Oh look! There's Kohls!" It's now become "Oh look! There's Aldi!" My companion said that as we almost ran a red light. (She was driving) It was pretty funny, and we were saved because of my back-seat driving. ;) I love you mom!!

Anyway, I can't really think of anything else right now. So I think I'll bid you farewell until next week! I love you all so very much! 

Sister Becca Steiner

I made chocolate chip pancakes!

Sister Helbig's birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment