Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Stories from Afar (Volume 15)

If I were to choose one word that would describe this last week I think "Everywhere" would describe it perfectly. This counts physically, emotionally and also temperature-wise; up and down and practically everywhere in between.

So I'll start with where I've been. Last Thursday me and Sister Burnside were able to go to the temple with Shannon and Robin. We drove the two and a half hour drive down to columbus and were able to participate in doing baptisms for the dead. It was really nice to do baptisms again. The smell, the sound and sight of the font really brought me back to family. The times where I went to the temple with Bretton and Bethany, and also when we all went to the Palmyra. (The columbus temple is very similar to that temple; it makes me happy!!!) Also the temperature was in the negatives (Polar Vortex day #2) so we experienced our wet hair turning to ice! Pictures were great! 

On the way back, Robin knew that we wouldn't be able to see that much of Ohio since we are usually up in Kirtland so we took the long way home and I mean the LONG way home!!! We didn't return home until 5:30 when we left Columbus around 1.... FOUR and a HALF HOURS!!!!! I felt really bad that I couldn't do much but sleep. I'm terrible when it comes to long road trips. We were both so tired afterwards that the spirit really pulled out a miracle for us to teach lessons that night. 

Then the next day, (Friday) we drove another hour and a half up to Kirtland (Traffic was really bad) So yeah, I've literally been everywhere.

Me and Shannon

Then with all this emotions have been running high... (Oh yeah, I haven't told you where I'm being transfered to. I'll tell you later hehe) We were so happy to be at the temple yet that thursday night took a tragic turn when we got a phone call from a member we were going to see the next day. We had met with her and her boyfriend once before and we had all become really great friends. Chris wasn't a member and we were really excited to teach him more about the church. Well, she told us that he had passed away and we were all devastated!!! It felt as if a hole had been ripped in my chest and even now my heart still aches for Sister Hardy. They had been dating for over 5 months. Though despite the shock and sorrow Sister Hardy still wanted us to come over for dinner the next day. 

That next day was spent up in Kirtland and it was bittersweet. Sister Burnside and I really needed the support from the other sisters and we got it. Our spirits were lifted a bit. Though when we went to Sister Hardy's that night that is where I truly felt healed. Her testimony of the Plan of Salvation was stunning as she told us what she felt. Her father is teaching Chris about the gospel now and I was able to tell her what I had felt. Chris didn't live in our area so I knew that eventually we would have to pass him onto other missionaries. We just didn't realize it would be so soon and to those who were on the other side of the veil. As we shared stories about Chris we cried, we laughed, we all loved and missed him. The spirit worked on us and helped us know for a surety that everything would be alright. After that appointment I felt I could let myself be happy. The bitterness of death had been swallowed up by Christ and the knowledge of the plan of Salvation. Though the ache of separation and "what if's" still hit me sometimes, I've never been so grateful to have the gospel in my life. 

I cut my companion's hair
(with permission of course)
Whew... crazy week already. But you might have heard about the Polar Vortex that happened last Wednesday and Thursday. During the day it was never warmer than -24 degrees; often being around -30. As soon as you were outside, your hands started to hurt from the bitter winds. Your eyes felt like they were drying up and you could feel your snot freezing when you took deep breaths. I've never been in such cold weather!!! It was exciting!! Then, not 4-5 days later the temperature rose to be 60 degrees!!!! That's a 90 degree difference!!!! I'm just going to accept that Ohio is weird. 

Okay, now I'm going to talk about transfers!!!! I'm LEAVING Tallmadge! I'm leaving Sister Burnside, and the Helbigs, Shannon, Kaleb, and also of course, the Zambranos and Bruce. I'm going to Perry, which is a part of the Kirtland Zone though we will not be serving at Kirtland. I don't know why they've made the changes they have but we don't think they will last more than a transfer. From what I've heard about it, it's a terrible idea. So I'll probably share more next time when I know more details. My new companion is going to be Sister Wallace. She is AMAZING!!!! I already know her from times up in Kirtland and I'm not worried at all. So that's exciting!! I'm just happy that Sister Burnside is staying in Tallmadge. She really wanted to go to the Helbig's Sealing (Which is happening on Saturday, Huzzah!!!) And now she gets to go!!!

TRIO TIME!!!
Sisters Burnside, Steiner and Schlittmaier 
I'm currently in a Trio which has been a lot of fun. Sister Schlittmaier is on the campus of University of Akron so we were able to travel there and teach lessons! You'd think in lessons we would trip over each other but they have all gone smoothly and awesomely! I even had a member tell me how much I've grown since I first arrived because I talked more! I'm becoming more and more confident!! Woohoo!!

What else??? Well, I'm doing great! I've hit some bumps in the road but I'm still loving missionary life and excited to begin a new chapter in Perry. I'm so grateful for the time I've spent in Tallmadge and look forward with hope and faith to one day return to this beautiful place. I love the gospel and the happiness, joy and healing you can receive from trusting in the Lord. 

I have been called and I will answer! I will continue forward; teaching and loving the people I meet, helping them know the truth that I have begun to know for myself. I LOVE MISSIONARY WORK!!!! 


Thus marks the end of a crazy week and sets the stage for a new beginning! Onward!

Sending LOTS of love!!!
Sister Becca Steiner

Kirtland!!!

Sunset at the Johnson Inn

Tracting Burnside Street

Wet hair and cold weather DON'T mix



No comments:

Post a Comment