Monday, February 25, 2019

Stories from Afar (Volume 18)

And thus another Preparation Day comes to pass. This week has been one full of learning and realizing the things I have learned while out on my mission. I've only been out four months and it's been so much fun! Yes, it is hard and difficult and I can't say that I don't miss my family and friends. But I have come to see that it's worth every second of it.

So the greatest impact on me was actually talking with a 93 year old lady last night. She told us quite a few stories about her life: what she's done and why she's so happy. She was an elementary teacher and she said one of her greatest moments was just being at grocery stores and such and having people come up to her asking her who she was. Being able to see grown-up students of hers helped her know that she had made a difference. She had done so much to help others, even the parents who often came to her for advice. That was so inspiring to me.
For as long as I can remember I've wanted to make a difference and now that I'm on a mission I can say that I'm making more of a difference than I ever have. These last few years I have lost sight of how to do so. But like Sister Atley said; it's because she was so willing to help that people went to her.
We have amazing people in this ward. So many of them are willing to help us missionaries out at a drop of a hat! This is who I want to be when I return! I want to be one who always helps others every chance I get! But I don't have to worry about that right now because that that is what a mission is.
A mission is more than going someplace new. It's more than meeting new people every day! It's ALL about serving!! You are away from family helping others learn about Christ. You teach them how to pray and understand the scriptures. You help them find hope in the Plan of Happiness and God's love for them is reflected through your actions! It's a wonderful day when they are able to recognize that love!!
So I want to let all of you know that you are ALL on your own missions! You may not be away from home or have that mission call. But you have opportunities to serve in your church callings and you have been set apart for that! So I invite you to magnify your callings and help others see the love God has for them! I know as you do so, you will have the Lord's spirit with you and you'll feel His love more than you ever have!
I only have 14 more months on my mission but this week I realized that my mission of service will last through the end of my life. I'll do my best in church callings and helping people whenever I can. I'm also planning on being a mother and that is a mission all on it's own.
So love your mission, whatever it is!
I'm loving mine!
But yeah! Life is great! Time is going by really fast and a cool thing this week is that sister Wallace and I got to teach a lady who only spoke Spanish! I thank Heavenly Father for having her kids there to translate everything for us! What a blessing!
Also this last week it was mission conference and we had Elder Bennet of the 70 visit us. He actually hadn't really prepared anything to talk to us about. He just let us ask questions and he followed the spirit on what to say. He told us that if we weren't prepared to learn then we wouldn't, but if we were then this conference had the potential to change our entire mission! I hoped I was prepared and tried my best to listen to the spirit. He was the real teacher that day!
I can say I learned a lot of things that I didn't know I needed. It was very spiritual and this is what got me started on the service of a missionary. Heavenly Father knew I needed to find the real reason why I am out here and I did! I'm here to help others come closer to Christ and Heavenly Father!! I'm here to help them find His love!

I love being on a mission. The joy of service is real! So don't get discouraged and get to work wherever you are! I love you all and I hope your week goes great as you seek to serve those around you! God loves you and He needs your help to share that love with others!!
Until next week!!!
Sister Becca Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment