Monday, August 10, 2015

Charity And A Hair Cut

Dear Family,

Wow! You really have had a crazy week. At this moment, you have seen more rain in Utah than I have seen in Washington! Now that is not what I expected. I got a hair cut last P-Day... I forgot what I was supposed to tell the hair cut person. It also didn't help that she didn't speak any English. Elder Nelson said that a 2 works best for around the ears. So I thought, "Well a 3 is probably a lot bigger than a 2, so I do that on top." Well, yep. My hair is now way too short, but it still isn't that bad. I just scare myself whenever I look in a mirror.

This week, I had the hardest lesson ever! We were teaching in a part-member family where the husband is an active member and the wife is the non-member. The husband invited us over to try and bring his wife to the gospel. She rejected everything we said, but every time she didn't accept something, I felt a deeper love and concern for her. I cared more and more for her salvation and I know that we can eventually get through to her. The only way I know how to explain it it by quoting from Preach My Gospel. On page 118, the last paragraph under "Charity and Love", it explains exactly how it felt. It won't put it in because it is a long paragraph, but I want you to go and take a look at it. It was great!

Here is the quote:"Charity is a gift from God. The prophet Mormon said that we should “pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that [we] may be filled with this love” (Moroni 7:48). As you follow this counsel and strive to do righteous works, your love for all people will increase, especially those among whom you labor. You will come to feel a sincere concern for the eternal welfare and happiness of other people. You will see them as children of God with the potential of becoming like our Heavenly Father, and you will labor in their behalf. You will avoid negative feelings such as anger, envy, lust, or covetousness. You will avoid judging others, criticizing them, or saying negative things about them. You will try to understand them and their points of view. You will be patient with them and try to help them when they are struggling or discouraged. Charity, like faith, leads to action. You will develop charity as you look for opportunities to serve others and give of yourself."

A couple of our very promising investigators dropped us this week, but one still remains! Sister Smith is progressing still! Everything we teach her, she readily accepts! I am getting so excited for her! I am so happy that she is willing to take the steps necessary to come unto Christ!

I am grateful for your letters! It is great to hear from you! I love you!

Love,

Elder Steiner.

P.S. Here is a pun or two just for Bethany: Where does the frog put his money? The riverbank!
"What do the markings NB mean in my music?" "It means you take everyone's breath away!"


I know some of you were just waiting for a picture like this. Yep, short hair
Most recent picture. Behind us is the only wide open place in our area, a farm.
Stella (Our car) is getting old. Mission cars get retired after 50,000 miles.



No comments:

Post a Comment